Saturday, February 7, 2009

Love Is In The Air



You know Valentine's Day is around the corner when you notice newspapers featuring restaurants, gift ideas and special offers on all kinds of things from cruises to home spa treatments. Very soon, too, there will be Valentine's message contests in newspapers and the rush to register marriages on February 14.

However, I sometimes wonder if people who jump on the "Special Day" bandwagon realize that appreciating someone - be they mums, dads, teachers or partners - is something we should do not only on that one special day but all the time. How many times have we taken people we care about for granted, never say "thank you" or "I am sorry" when the situation calls for it and allow nagging hurt to fester into discontent and anger? Thoughtful words and actions do more for a relationship than an expensive once-a-year event.

On a lighter note, my most memorable Valentine's dinner was one that I had with my then five-year old son. Most of the patrons in the restaurant were couples, although there were a couple of families. All ladies, including myself, received a rose each and my "date" was given a balloon. However, my Valentine's dinner was cut short when, at around 9.30 p.m., my "date" fell asleep! That aside, I still cherised that time spent with my son....thank you Nash for being my special Valentine!

No comments: