
"(Fa'idzaa 'azamta fatawakkal 'alal-laah; innal-laaha yuhibbul-mutawakkileen)"
...Then, when you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah. For Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
Surah Al-Imran (3:159)
This was my third trip to the Holy Land in the last two years. I performed my first Umrah in April 2009, followed by the Haj in November/December 2009. Considerable changes have taken place in the Holy City of Makkah since my last trip in late 2009. Older buildings have been demolished to make way for ultra-modern hotels and construction activities go on around the clock.
However, one thing has definitely not changed - the feeling of peace and tranquility that one experiences when praying in the two grand mosques, i.e. Masjid Al-Nabawi (the Prophet's Mosque) in Madinah and Masjid Al-Haram in Makkah.
For my first Umrah, I was filled with trepidation as I did not know what to expect. Although I completed the rituals as prescribed, there was this doubt as to whether or not I did everything right. My Haj was done 6 months after a life-threatening surgery and I was very concerned about protecting my just-operated abdomen in a crowd of millions of people. For this Umrah, I was focused and it helped that I had a room to myself so I could stay in the mosque for as long as I liked without having to worry about another person's schedule.
"As long as you stay in a mosque waiting for prayer (congregation), and are held up there only for the sake of prayer, and only this thing prevents you from returning home, you will be treated as continuously in prayer."
(Muslim)
I spent long hours in Masjid Al-Haram praying, reading the Quran and reflecting on my life and what is expected of us in this world. We are all on a journey towards a common destination and how and when we reach that destination is pre-destined. For some of us, the journey towards our final destination is relatively comfortable. For others, it is more difficult. For me, the journey has been a painful one - both emotionally and physically. As a Muslim, I believe that whatever has befallen me is atonement for my sins, as prescribed in the Surah below.
(Wa maa 'asaabakum mim-museebatin fabimaa kasabat 'aydeekum wa ya'foo 'an kasheer)
"And whatever of misfortune befalls you, it is because of what your hands have earned. And he pardons much".
Surah Asy-Syura (42:30)
It is Allah's test of our faith and it is his way of cleansing us of our sins. It is preferable to have a difficult journey in this world where we can pray for redemption for Allah is all forgiving; than to have an eternally difficult journey in the Hereafter where one can no longer pray for forgiveness.
At the same time, Islam expects us to balance the present world with the hereafter; one cannot forsake this world for the Hereafter or vice-versa. It is our duty to strive to work for a living and do good in this world while at the same time preparing ourselves for the Hereafter.
(Rabbanaaa 'aatinaa fid-dunya hasanatan wa fil-Aakhirati hasanatan wa qinaa adzaban naar)
“O Allah, forgive me my sins, my ignorance and my excesses, and that which You know more than I. O Allah, forgive me for that committed by me in jest or seriousness, in error or deliberation, and all of that is with (in) me. O Allah, forgive me my past and present (sins) and that committed secretly and openly and that which You know more than I. You are the Advancer, the Postponer and You have the ability over all things.”
(Bukhari and Muslim)
"....kemudian apabila engkau telah berazam (sesudah bermesyuarat, untuk membuat sesuatu) maka bertawakallah kepada Allah, sesungguhnya Allah Mengasihi orang-orang yang bertawakal kepadaNya."
Surah Al-Imran (3:159)
This was my third trip to the Holy Land in the last two years. I performed my first Umrah in April 2009, followed by the Haj in November/December 2009. Considerable changes have taken place in the Holy City of Makkah since my last trip in late 2009. Older buildings have been demolished to make way for ultra-modern hotels and construction activities go on around the clock.
However, one thing has definitely not changed - the feeling of peace and tranquility that one experiences when praying in the two grand mosques, i.e. Masjid Al-Nabawi (the Prophet's Mosque) in Madinah and Masjid Al-Haram in Makkah.
For my first Umrah, I was filled with trepidation as I did not know what to expect. Although I completed the rituals as prescribed, there was this doubt as to whether or not I did everything right. My Haj was done 6 months after a life-threatening surgery and I was very concerned about protecting my just-operated abdomen in a crowd of millions of people. For this Umrah, I was focused and it helped that I had a room to myself so I could stay in the mosque for as long as I liked without having to worry about another person's schedule.
"As long as you stay in a mosque waiting for prayer (congregation), and are held up there only for the sake of prayer, and only this thing prevents you from returning home, you will be treated as continuously in prayer."
(Muslim)
I spent long hours in Masjid Al-Haram praying, reading the Quran and reflecting on my life and what is expected of us in this world. We are all on a journey towards a common destination and how and when we reach that destination is pre-destined. For some of us, the journey towards our final destination is relatively comfortable. For others, it is more difficult. For me, the journey has been a painful one - both emotionally and physically. As a Muslim, I believe that whatever has befallen me is atonement for my sins, as prescribed in the Surah below.
(Wa maa 'asaabakum mim-museebatin fabimaa kasabat 'aydeekum wa ya'foo 'an kasheer)
"And whatever of misfortune befalls you, it is because of what your hands have earned. And he pardons much".
"Dan apa jua yang menimpa kamu dari sesuatu kesusahan (atau bala bencana), maka ia adalah disebabkan apa yang kamu lakukan (dari perbuatan-perbuatan yang salah dan berdosa); dan (dalam pada itu) Allah memaafkan sebahagian besar dari dosa-dosa kamu."
Surah Asy-Syura (42:30)
It is Allah's test of our faith and it is his way of cleansing us of our sins. It is preferable to have a difficult journey in this world where we can pray for redemption for Allah is all forgiving; than to have an eternally difficult journey in the Hereafter where one can no longer pray for forgiveness.
At the same time, Islam expects us to balance the present world with the hereafter; one cannot forsake this world for the Hereafter or vice-versa. It is our duty to strive to work for a living and do good in this world while at the same time preparing ourselves for the Hereafter.
(Rabbanaaa 'aatinaa fid-dunya hasanatan wa fil-Aakhirati hasanatan wa qinaa adzaban naar)
“Wahai Tuhan kami, berilah kami kebaikan di dunia dan kebaikan di akhirat, dan peliharalah kami dari azab neraka”.
“Our Lord, give us in this world that which is good and in the Hereafter that which is good and protect us from the torment of the Fire.”
Surah Al-Baqarah (2:201)
I performed three (3) Umrahs for myself and paid for someone to perform one Umrah each for my late father and husband - may Allah bless their souls!
"Semoga ibadahku diterima oleh Allah!" (May my acts of devotion be accepted by Allah!).
“O Allah, forgive me my sins, my ignorance and my excesses, and that which You know more than I. O Allah, forgive me for that committed by me in jest or seriousness, in error or deliberation, and all of that is with (in) me. O Allah, forgive me my past and present (sins) and that committed secretly and openly and that which You know more than I. You are the Advancer, the Postponer and You have the ability over all things.”
(Bukhari and Muslim)
1 comment:
simply beautiful. love every word.
Post a Comment